Friday, September 19, 2014

Confession: Love Songs After Dark with . . .

It's 7:00 on a Wednesday evening. The sun is starting to set (accept in Alaska), the work day is ending, the time to relax has begun. What are your plans? Do you have friends to catch up with? Alcohol to consume? Maybe you'll snuggle up with your love. Maybe you will cook and eat a delicious dinner before curling up by a fire. These are all great things to do. I'm about to let you in on a secret. For the past few nights I have had a lovely evening myself with someone I hold very dear. Her name is Delilah.

Now give me a second to bring you back to my childhood. When I was a wee lass I remember listening to the radio in the car. Mom would put on KOSY 106.5 a popular Utah station for adults and mormons both of which fit my mom's demo. As the sun went down the local DJ would finish up his/her segment and pass it along to the one and only Delilah. Now I do not know Delilah's last name. I don't know where she lives or what religion she is. I don't know if she is a doctor or a therapist or has any degree at all. What I do know for sure is that listening to her is the best medicine I could have for a bad day next to talking to my own family.

If you have never had the privelage of listening to Delilah let me break it down. Have you seen Sleepless in Seattle? No? Ok take two hours, watch the movie then come back...



Also, she has horses! And a face. Did not know this!
Have you watched it yet? Still no? Ok fine. Well just think of it like this: Delilah takes callers from all over, answers their most in depth and personal questions and plays them relaxing songs that makes all their worries go away. If you're lost on the Sleepless in Seattle reference you should have paid attention. #DrMarsha. Now let's connect this to my life!

A few nights ago when I first found Delilah in the state of Alaska on 98.8 fm I was having a definite bad day/week/future week. I was definitely homesick. When I heard her sweet voice I got that feeling. You know how your childhood has this, like, tangible sense about it? I got that. And with that I sensed driving around with the family looking at Christmas lights, I felt driving home on a Sunday evening after visiting Grandma and Grandpa Stutz. Basically I felt home, which is what I really needed.

While I was listening to her she hit her Delilah Dilemma segment, where she takes a problem from one of her listeners and gives some advice. That night it was a mom who had sent her daughter off to college and was really missing her. She wanted to send some love and advice for her daughter who was feeling homesick. Delilah advised that change is a part of life and although distance is hard it doesn't mean love fades. She said to pray to God that they would be able to see each other and spend time with each other. Yeah, ok that is a little cheesy. And yeah, ok, I felt a little stupid for bursting into tears at that moment but ya know? I did. Because I felt so young at that moment. I fancy myself wonder woman but I miss a life that is in West Jordan, Utah with the people I love most in this world. There is so much about my life that I worry about. Decisions I question, people I miss, past times I felt I did wrong. Hearing just a simple, 'everything is okay' did wonders.

After the cheesy music began to fade the song "Collide" by Howie Day came on the radio and it felt like that whole segment was just for me. I've always adored that song ever since I was in college. Several young gents have played it for me on the guitar, and So You Think You Can Dance did a stellar performance of it in season 7. It's always been a favorite.

So to wrap this up and tie it in a bow and ship it to all of you I guess it comes down to this:
-If you are having a rough time: listen to Delilah
-If you are missing your family: listen to Delilah
-If you want to add some cheese to your day: listen to Delilah
-If you love, miss, or are thinking of me . . . Call me! Or . . .you know

No comments:

Post a Comment