Monday, June 2, 2014

The Highs, The Lows, and How Everything Eventually Works Out

DISCLAIMER: I've been watching a british comedy called "Miranda" all day. If any British slips in, I apologize.

Do you think we, as humans, crave drama? I mean subconsciously, of course. I don't think anyone wakes up in the morning and says, 'I really want to get a call from an irate friend, or if only I could have a crazy day filled with nonsense I will feel so much better'. But there is a rush I get when I know a rumor or when someone has just confronted me about something involving me. I listen intently, then ponder on it, then ask everyone I know what they think about it. That's the high. It feels exciting for the first few days in a strange, silly way. The low comes after you have dealt with it or after a week or so, when it's not even remotely fun. Anyone that has ever been in the fourth grade knows this. The problem is, in the fourth grade we get addicted to it, and for some it takes well into their early 20's (or longer) to get rid of. I know. That's a decade.

So how do you deal with it? How do you work out the drama-rama? No I'm actually asking. No I'm not. Or am I. No. Or- ok really though. Here was my latest method.

Let it go Oh sorry I heard that phrase was banned in the colonies. I mean move past it. Not the situation, but drama altogether. I mean look at yourself. Look at those wrinkles. Check out that nasty clicking jaw caused by stress clenched jaw syndrome (true story). This isn't healthy. When faced with drama, say NO. Similar, you may notice, to what you might answer when facing crack-cocaine (more commonly known as "the drugs") or a boyish attitude late at night. So what if this drug dealer doesn't take no for an answer. What if that stupid man face tries to push his luck. Well we run away. "run away and never return" ~Lion King, Scar/Simba circa 1994. Ok but let's get realsies here. It's really not worth it right? Drama was fun in the fourth grade, it made for some good talking points in high school, but aint nobody got time for that in their 20s. Sometimes this means losing friends, sometimes it means staying in on a Saturday night, sometimes it means moving across the country (foreshadowing....), but mostly it means choosing healthy relationships rather than toxic ones. Looking at the longterm, rather than the short term. It's hard in the beginning but if it's right it gets easier.

Lastly things do work out. Sometimes not how you would expect them to, but they do work out. I've learned you can't live in fear of what is to come. You can't be worried about other people's choices when there is nothing you can do to change their minds. You must move on with your life. Move forward. Take care of the things you can control and trust that everything else will work out. You will learn to be happy wherever life takes you as long as you are living the way you should be, working hard to put the stress and drama behind you.

No comments:

Post a Comment